Well, here it is: my first recipe. It’s just a simple dinner idea and only requires some basic ingredients. So light and yet fulfilling for a very easy dinner! Step one of this recipe entails roasting the garlic. Today was actually the first time I roasted garlic and I have to tell you that it is so delicious; the sharp flavor of raw garlic just becomes sweet, mellow and buttery. Yum!
Here we go!
Ingredients (serves 4):
- One Head of Garlic (10-15 cloves)
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 4-5 Tb Fresh Lemon Juice (1 large or 2 small lemons)
- Lemon Zest
- Salt and Pepper
- 400 g Whole-Wheat Pasta
- Ca. 32 Shrimps (or how much you prefer)
- Optional: Fresh Grated Parmesan, Parsley and White Wine
First of all, we’ll be roasting the garlic. For this, all credit goes to WonkyWonderful. It requires the following steps:
1.Preheat oven to 190° C
2. Remove some of the loose papery outer skin.
3. Cut off the garlic top exposing the inner cloves.
4. Wrap the garlic in foil and place in an oven safe ramekin or baking dish.
5. Drizzle 1tablespoon of olive oil over each head of garlic and seal the foil over the top.
6. Bake garlic for about 40-45 minutes, or until the cloves are soft and golden brown. While the garlic roasts, marinate the shrimp by combining some olive oil, lemon zest, salt en pepper.
7. Allow garlic to cool then squeeze the garlic and the cloves will pop right out. Or use a fork to remove each clove individually (I did it this way and it was actually quite easy).
So, this was the first part. Important note: if you need less than one head of garlic, you can just keep the remaining cloves in your refrigerator! I know this first part takes quite some time, but you can always prepare the garlic on beforehand. Also, you can just pop it in the oven right after work, classes etc. Then you still have plenty of time to do your after work/classes routine.
After this, everything goes quite fast.
1. Cook the pasta. I opted for whole wheat pasta, but of course, you can use a different type of pasta if you prefer.
2. Cook the marinated shrimp in hot olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes. Then, add the reserved marinade and cook for 1 minute more. When ready, keep them on the side. You could (if you have some left) also add a bit of white wine (the latter is of course not recommended if you want to keep the amount of calories in this dish as low as possible).
3. Chop the roasted garlic.
4. Heat the olive oil and chopped garlic for 4-5 minutes over medium heat while stirring.
5. Add the lemon juice and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add the cooked pasta and toss with the shrimp and lemon garlic sauce until fully coated.
Finally, transfer to serving dishes and top with a drizzle of olive oil, lemon zest. You could also add some fresh grated parmesan cheese (however, again, not recommended if you are looking for a low-calorie dish).
Now there’s nothing left but enjoying this delicious meal!
Credit goes to WonkyWonderful for the basis of this recipe.