Tested and approved: Princess Misia‘s beetroot muffins.
About these muffins
To be honest, I was a bit hesitating to put this recipe on the blog. Mostly for three reasons:
- Quite some people dislike beetroot. I was one of those people-until my boyfriend forced me to learn to eat them as they’re extremely healthy. Therefore, for all the red beet haters: don’t make these muffins just yet. First take some time to learn to appreciate them. You will love yourself for it afterwards.
- They’re actually not the healthiest recipe on my blog. As in: yes, there’s maple syrup in there. Which is basically sugar -but a tiny ieniemienie bit healthier. But let me tell you a secret: eating healthy does not mean cutting out all of the nice stuff. So I’ll take this as an opportunity to tell you that being balanced is very important -so don’t forget to enjoy a desert every now and then. Moreover, this recipe beats all prefab store-bought cookies: taste-wise and health-wise.
- For me, these are actually all standard ingredients, but I realize that “beginners”, might dislike going grocery shopping for rather “special ingredients” such as maple syrup, coconut oil, spelt flour and almond milk in their supermarket. Yet, I promise, and especially for the coconut oil: it is totally worth the investment. One tip for the coconut oil: as a beginner, just get yourself a big can of refined coconut oil -it’s the odourless version without coconut flavour. It does not have the health benefits of the unrefined coconut oil, but it’s a good start and way cheaper.
Most important reasons I decided to post the recipe online:
- It was the best snack I had at work in a long time (honestly, apples and bananas are nice, but need some variety every now and then);
- Maybe I can convince some people to start eating beetroots;
- My boyfriend loved them;
- Just look at them:
So, enough with the blabla. Ready for the recipe? Here we go!
- 100g beetroot, cooked and peeled (I bought them pre-cut)
- 200g spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon bicarbonate
- 25 ml coconut oil
- 100 ml maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 125 ml almond milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees;
- Combine spelt flour, baking powder and bicarbonate;
- Melt coconut oil;
- Combine coconut oil, maple syrup, egg and almond milk;
- Combine both briefly (not too long –otherwise, your muffins might get tough);
- Cut beetroot into small pieces and add to dough. Combine softly.
- Put dough into muffin tin (perhaps best to use paper/silicone baking cups or use baking spray);
- Bake until golden brown (ca 10-15 minutes).
- Yum. They’re ready! Sit back and enjoy!