Admit it: you love risotto. Myself, I love risotto, but I’ve been avoiding it since I’m not a big fan of rice. So when I discovered the idea of “Mushroom Risotto”, it took me exactly 2 minutes to decide to put on my shoes and run to the grocery store for the ingredients so I could try it.
And I’m VERY happy that I did, because IT’S JUST SO DELICIOUS-I’m still surprised myself.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 150g oats
- 500ml chicken or vegetable broth (I used bouillon cubes)
- 50g brown mushrooms, chopped
- 50g shiitakes, chopped
- 50g chanterelles (feel free to replaces the shiitakes/chanterelles by other wild mushrooms of course), chopped
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 2 scallions or spring onions, chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
- pepper and salt to taste
- thyme (optional)
- Parmesan or Grana Padano to taste
1. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a saucepan. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent.
2. Add the mushrooms and scallions and sauté, stirring often, until soft.
3. Add oats and sauté for another minute.
4.Add part of the broth, just enough to cover the oats. Simmer over medium heat stirring often to keep the mixture from burning on the bottom
5. Once the first part of broth has been absorbed by the oats add another part and keep stirring. Repeat this step until the 500ml of broth has been absorbed.
6.Grate some fresh parmesan or grana padano (to taste) and stir in.
7. Serve garnished with parsley and extra cheese.. and enjoy!
P.s. for my Belgian/Dutch speaking friends/followers: I found this recipe on the “Bye Bye Cheeseburger” website: – you can find some really cool recipes on this website!