This introduction is probably more honest than it should be, but I should warn you: although I absolutely LOVE golden milk, I cannot promise you will do too. My boyfriend likes to call it my “magic potion” – because he has the feeling I’m brewing an odd potion (like a witch – thanks, honey…) with all these magical spices.
Anyhow, I wanted to share it with you because it is one of my latest addictions.. and my favourite solution to beat the afternoon post lunch dip/snack attack . I even prepare it upfront sometimes to take with me to work.
What makes “golden milk” actually “golden”, is turmeric – which may be the most effective nutritional supplement in existence (and also only reason Mr. Boyfriend actually drinks my “magic potion”). It has plenty of health benefits, but is mostly known for its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties.
You can find plenty of Golden Milk recipes online, but this is my favourite:
- 600 ml unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp turmeric root, freshly grated
- 2 tsp ginger, freshly grated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp cardamom
- a pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tsp honey (optional – I usually do not add it)
1. Heat milk in a saucepan and add all spices;
2. Leave to simmer for ca. 5 minutes;
3. Pour mixture through a tea sieve into 2 mugs;
4. If you like, you can add some honey.
5. Enjoy a feeling of happiness 🙂